Sudeep Nagarkar has quickly risen to being India’s favorite romantic book writer. At the age of 27 he has seen fame and success and received accolades from many. A recipient of the 2013 Youth Achievers’ Award, he has also been featured on the Forbes India longlist of the most influential celebrities. His first book is already being adapted into a Marathi movie which should release by next year. Here is what he has to say about himself basking in the glory of the success of his new book- You’re Trending In My Dreams!
1. Tell us something about yourself and the turn of events that led you into becoming a best selling author
My first two books already speaks a lot about me. I started writing after suffering a heartbreak. Heartbreak is an odd kind of pain. You are not dying, you are not sick, still you are hurt so much. Writing gave me the closure and in four years I have written six books now!
2. If not an author, you would have been…
Can’t imagine. If I had an option, I would have opted for an easy path. But had no other way, hence could do well in writing. Touchwood 🙂
3. What challenges did you face from the completion of your first draft to publication and how did you overcome them?
Its a lengthy process. After 4 years and 6 books, I believe writing is just the tiny part of it. The hard work which comes later is important and challenging. A lot of patience is needed and still there is no assurance. I had to wait for around 10 months after finishing my book to get it published. After it was published, I was literally on streets, visiting bookstore after bookstore – just to make sure my book got prominence amongst many others!
4. Have you completely dedicated all your time to writing? Any set amount of words/pages per day?
Its not a job where you have to complete 8 working hours in a day. If such restrictions come in a creative process then somewhere your creativity will be affected. I write when I feel like writing. No fixed rules!
5. The hardest thing about writing is…
6. Which writers inspire you? Given a choice who would you choose as your mentor?
No one inspires me. I have read many authors and have enjoyed their writing. But I won’t choose a mentor out of them. My inspiration are my readers and family.
7. Right now you are reading…
Reviews of my book ‘You’re trending in my dreams’ 😀
8. What genre are your books?
My books are inspired from true stories and are based on friendship, romance, heartbreak and gives an insight to relationships of today.
9. What are you working on at the minute? What’s it about?
Currently am on a 15 city tour for the promotion of my new book ‘You’re trending in my dreams’. It will continue till November.
10. How did you find your book cover designer and editor?
Penguin Random House is a brand. They have their own inhouse designers and editors. They are equally supportive in selecting one for the book.
11. Which is your favourite of the books you have written and why?
‘You’re trending in my dreams’ is my personal favourite as it gives many positive messages. It portrays a girl as a strong character which is rare in India. It also shows importance of real friendship in the virtual social media world.
12. What do you do to get book reviews?
I generally do not give my book to reviewers as most of them out there are not genuine or are struggling authors who try to prove how they are better than the author of the book they are reviewing. Also readers are smart enough to pick a book according to their choice. A review does not change their mind.
13. Which of your characters resembles you the most?
Aditya who features in the first 5 books in different roles; his character is modeled on me.
14. Have you hated any of your characters?
Aditya. I have no reason for it though 😛
15. Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
For my book, ‘You’re trending in my dreams’, I would like Sidharth Malhotra or Varun Dhawan as Varun and Deepika Padukone or Kangana as Ahana.
16. As a writer there are many lessons you would have learnt from life. What is the one lesson that you would have liked to learn sooner than later.
To handle my girlfriend in a perfect way possible 😛
17. Do you have any advice for other writers?
Be honest towards your writing and be patient.
18. Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
The new book ‘You’re trending in my dreams’ has debuted at NO 1 on bestseller list across India across all categories.